Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Ford Story

I like the name ‘Ford’. It creates a classic aura; may be because it is a royal name or may be because of motor cars it manufactures. So when a friend said ‘I have the autobiography of once the president of Ford company”, I became too excited to read it.

Lee Iacocca’s autobiography is like any other biography telling his life story, with the main story being his working years at ford and life outside it after he was fired by Henry ford for no right reason but for his majesty’s insecurity about Iacocca attracting popularity, power and that someday he (Iacocca) would kick Henry out of Henry’s family business. Whatever…. I am no relative of Iacocca and his firing doesn’t move me especially now that it is all past. It is his life story. Everyone has a story.

What I like in the book is the importance of food business. It says there is nothing like the food business. It can never loose grip. Whatever might happen, people will not stop eating. And that is so true.

Another ideology which I would like to follow is –waste nothing. Be it worth a penny, why should one waste?

One amusing thing I found in the book is that Henry ford (ii) didn’t pay tax to the government. Now, how true it is a matter of mystery.

In the current page that I read Iacocca is fired. I am yet to read beyond this. It’s a Big book! Post firing episodes in the next post.

P.S: I personally think there are hell lots of dot com companies. Entrepreneurs should come out with something new.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is yet another interesting thing about Iacoca........he was initially an engineer at the company,in the design department.But later he changed to sales.So this is for all the people who find their true calling later in life.Success is not always all that well planned...a shift from one field to something totally different is possible and cool.

Rajasekhar said...

Well, Krishna is a 3rd year from ECE ... good writer..